Friday 19 July 2013

Project 4 (Moderate): Digital Thermometer

I decided to upgrade my LED thermometer into a digital thermometer. A 4 digit segment display (salvaged from an old satellite receiver) will be used for this project. I also added an option to display the temperature in kelvins.

features:
- temperature can be displayed in different states(degrees Celsius, degrees Fahrenheit, or kelvins)
- to switch between states, 2 buttons will be used to achieve this (degrees Celsius is the default mode)













Parts:
- 1x 4 digit segment display (this model has 16 pins)
- 2x pushbuttons
- 2x 10k ohm resistor
- 7x 330 ohm resistor
- 1x tmp 40



default mode: the temperature is displayed in degrees Celsius(in this case, 26°C) 

when the top button is pressed, the temperature will be displayed in degrees Fahrenheit(in this case, 80°F).

when the bottom button is pressed, the temperature will be displayed in kelvins(in this case, 299 K).
 
You will notice that the temperature is slowly increasing after 19 seconds. I transferred my body heat by simply touching the temperature sensor.


This was my first time using a segment display and it was a slight learning curve. The segment display is not very bright since I connected a large resistor (330 ohm). I don't have any smaller ones unfortunately.



No comments:

Post a Comment