Wednesday 24 July 2013

Project 7 (Novice): Using a Piezo Element as a Vibration Sensor

note: there are 2 unused resistor that I forgot to remove
features:
- displays the vibration level on a 7 digit segment display
- the harder you knock, the higher the vibration readings














parts:
- 1x 7 digit segment display
- 7x 330 ohm resistor
- 1x 1M ohm resistor
- 1 piezo element











 

My piezo element was salvaged from an old stationary bicycle. The piezo element was originally used as a buzzer but I gave it some purpose by turning it into a vibration sensor. I learned that the value of the resistor connected to the piezo element (in parallel) will affect the reading. After trying out different resistors, I noticed that a 1M ohm resistor seems to give the best result.

No comments:

Post a Comment